The State of Kansas uses the KanCare program to provide Medicaid. KanCare started January 2013 and provides services to more than 360,000 individuals across the state. Kansas contracts with three health plans, or managed care organizations (MCOs), to manage health care for nearly all Medicaid recipients. The KanCare health plans are Aetna Better Health of Kansas (Aetna), Sunflower State Health Plan (Sunflower), and United Healthcare Community Plan of Kansas (United).

You have a choice of one of the MCOs. All Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) are a part of KanCare.

Once a year during your open enrollment, you may choose to switch to a different MCO. Your yearly open enrollment is during the month you first enrolled in the program.

The MCOs are required to manage all types of care you receive. This is done by providing the right care, in the right amount, in the right setting, at the right time. The MCOs focus is to make sure you receive the preventive services and screenings you need and ongoing help with managing chronic conditions.
For more information about KanCare please visit the KanCare website.

Learn about the additional services each MCO provides.

The Kansas Department of Health and Environment (KDHE) provides an application for Elderly and Persons with Disabilities on their website. If you do not currently have coverage for KanCare, you can apply. To apply for medical coverage, you must complete and submit an application.
Access the KanCare application.

KanCare Clearinghouse Fax Numbers

Elderly and Disabled line: 1-844-264-6285

Toll Free Family Medical line 800-498-1255

KanCare Paper Application for Long-Term Services and Supports

Individuals with disabilities and the frail elderly applying for KanCare who believe they may qualify to receive long-term services and supports, Home- and Community-Based Services (HCBS), should fill out a paper application to submit to KDHE rather than apply electronically.

The paper application provides a greater amount of detail on how to apply for the Medicaid waiver in-home services that allow people to remain in their homes and communities, as well as for medical care. You can download and print an application if you go to the link on this page:


If you think you would qualify for HCBS services, make sure you check the box that asks “Does this person need help with nursing home costs or in-home care?”