Receive Email Updates

HCBS would like to keep you informed about what we are doing. Please sign up to receive email updates from KDADS / HCBS.

Institutional Transitions

An Institutional Transition is the process for moving residents of qualified institutional settings into the community. This process identifies individuals who have expressed their desire to return to the community and provides them with community supports to aid them in maintaining residence in the least restrictive setting of their choice. Institutional Transitions are available if you are eligible for the Frail Elderly (FE), Physical Disability (PD), Brain Injury (BI) or Intellectual/ Developmental Disability (IDD) waiver. Individuals completing an Institutional Transition to a waiver with a current waiting list will be allowed to bypass the waiver waitlist.


To be eligible for an Institutional Transition to an HCBS waiver, you must meet the following criteria:
  1. Must be a current resident in a qualified institutional setting;
    • Qualified Institutional Settings include:
      • Nursing Facility;
      • State Hospital (Parsons, KNI, Osawatomie and Larned);
      • Intermediate Care Facility-Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities (ICF-IID), or;
      • Psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility (PRTF).
  2. Must have been in a qualified institutional setting for a minimum of ninety (90) consecutive days for waivers that currently have a waiting list;
  3. Indicate an interest in moving back into the community through the Nursing Facility Survey or verbal communication to family/hospital/Managed Care Organization (MCO)/ADRC;
  4. Meet the HCBS waiver eligibility criteria for the FE, PD, BI or I/DD waivers;
  5. Be financially eligible for Medicaid.


To apply for an institutional transition, contact your assigned Managed Care Organization (MCO). If you do not have an MCO please complete a Medicaid application online at or by calling 1-800-792-4884. Once you have your MCO assignment, based on your choice, visit with your assigned Care Coordinator to initiate the Institutional Transition process.

The Access Guide contains additional information regarding enrollment, HCBS waivers and services.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • How many hours of service can I have when I am approved for HCBS services?

  • Who do I call to get information when I need help?

  • What is self-direction?

  • Can my family be paid for helping me?

Additional Information

For additional information or assistance you may follow the provided link to contact the KanCare Ombudsman.

Contact Information

HCBS Transitions Specialist:
Matthew Beery

785- 296-7744

[email protected]


Kansas Department for Aging and Disability Services
Attention: Home and Community Based Services
503 S. Kansas Ave.
Topeka, KS 66603-3404